Thursday, April 4, 2013

Invisalign Assist? Yes Please! And new Smart Track Material

I went in to find out what the bad news was this time after having my teeth scanned at tray 20. Again, some attachments were taken off/moved/added. This time though, I still have nine attachments but on eight teeth instead of seven. The two on the front tooth were taken off, but two more were put on the other front tooth. They do look a little smaller than the last ones though, so that's good news!

The bad news? Well, sorta bad news... I was scheduled for 26 trays, I now will have 30 on top and 29 on the bottom. This pushes my end time back a couple of months, but I'm pretty ok with that, surprisingly. I think partially because I KNOW this will definitely be it, unless I do refinements. There will be no scanning again at tray 30, because there will be no where to go, I will be at my end game! :)
P.S. I'm officially done with 2/3 done with the first round! I finally have an end point!

We hadn't previously discussed retainers at all, but I knew it was coming. She mentioned that I would have the "plastic retainers", I'm assuming Vivera, but she didn't say for sure. The other thing she said, didn't ask, but said, was that I was going to have a bonded retainer on the back of my top front teeth. Those babies aren't going anywhere! Keep in mind, very nice, caring and fun lady I'm dealing with here. If I absolutley didn't want it, I'm sure she would listen to my reasoning and ultimately do what is going to make me happy.
The reason that I hadn't brought up the subject with her yet was that I wasn't sure if I wanted a bonded retainer or not. I kept going back in forth in my mind. Like she said, I'm prone to the gaps and she doesn't want it coming back! Neither do I!
Case closed! :)

The other thing that I asked about was the likeliness of refinements. I specifically asked if these "progress scans" every 10 trays seemed to cut down on the necessity of refinements, she said yes it does! :) I was relieved to have my hunch confirmed.
She also quickly followed that with - "but we will do them if you want them!" with a smile on her face, of course, because that's who she is.

Still waiting for that pesky gap between my two front teeth to close. It's all but gone now! We looked through the scans today, because I HAD to know, and Dr. Janna told me it should be a "flossable" space at tray 26 or 27. Unless I just feel a little crazy, I probably won't post pics again until I feel like it's "closed".

Oh! And! The new aligners are the Smart Track material. I really have no opinion on them yet. They're supposed to hold up a little longer instead of being real tight at first and then loose towards the end of two weeks.

Gosh darn! I just have to reiterate how dang happy I am with this decision. I already feel like a new woman. And the office that I go to... well words just can't express how happy they have made me and how friendly of a place it is. I just LOVE going there now, as opposed to my trips to the dentist before, when I just kind of thought "what's the point?" and "I hate my teeth, why do they need cleaned."



Feel free to leave questions/comments below. You can also sign up to receive an email each time I post by signing up in the "Follow by Email" box to the right.

7 comments:

  1. We're almost at the finished line! I'm getting a bonded retainer as well the plastic retainer. I knew from the beginning that I would be getting one. I in no way want the space to come back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe we're almost there. It seems like yesterday when I was just starting out and thought I would never get done. You will be getting done quite a bit earlier than me though, since I have 30 trays now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reading your blogs create a positive energy within me. You’re encouraging me so much to get braces. Like you, I also hope to have straighter teeth, and having braces is my last resort. I’ve been reading many blogs telling me how difficult it is to suffer all the pain of being “brace-faced” and it really scares me. I just hope that I can pursue getting braces so that I can have a better smile.

    ^^ Jerri Franceschi ^^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would highly recommend Invisalign!!! I'm glad I can create that positive energy for you. It has completely changed my world!!! :)
      If you can, I would suggest going to a few different providers and getting a consult regarding pricing and most importantly, someone you're comfortable with. I think a lot of providers will do a no charge initial consultation. You can also check the Invisalign website, there are different levels of providers. It was an easy choice for me, my regular dentist is also my orthodontist, so I already knew her and was very comfortable with her.
      Another great resource for general information is bracesreview.com. It's a forum with a lot of people talking about the ups and downs of treatment and some support to go with it.

      Delete
  4. Yay! How exciting! Can't wait to see how it looks when your gap is 100% closed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I can't wait either! I'm switching trays again tonight and I just keep hoping I'll wake up with the gap closed... probably not yet, but we shall see! :)

      Delete
  5. I love your new viewpoint! Great job being almost done and congrats. Finally seeing the light at the end of the tunnel :)

    ReplyDelete