Monday, July 23, 2012

Another Crack Baby???

This past Saturday (day 10 of 2nd tray), I noticed that I had another crack in my top aligner in the exact opposite side as the crack in the first tray. Both cracks are right behind teeth with attachments!
I waited until Monday to give my dentist a call. I decided that if I could make the first tray last 12 days with a crack, I should surely be able to make this cracked tray last another 4 days! But I called the dentist and left a message just to let her know and have her give me a call back if there was anything I needed to do. I never heard anything back and she is normally very prompt about returning phone calls, so she must be ok with it.
A few hours later, I was putting them back in my mouth after lunch and realized there is also a crack in the same spot as the first set. Now I had 2 cracks in the same tray. They are still fitting OK though, and I am determined to make these last and not hold up my treatment by waiting for a new aligner!

At this point I'm trying to figure out if I'm doing something wrong to cause this. When I took them off the next time, I realized that I am losing them on both sides from the molars, and then yanking them off. I have now switched to pulling off the molars first and then pulling from the top on my front teeth to get them the rest of the way off. I don't know yet if this will help prevent the cracks, but it has helped so far in keeping them in tact until I switch to my new trays.
I'm actually writing this on Day 14 and I will be switching tonight before bed. I'm a little nervous because there was a lot of pain last time. Stay tuned, I will let you know how that goes..



Feel free to leave questions/comments below.  You can also sign up to receive an email each time I post by signing up in the "Follow by Email" box to the right.

Thanks for looking! :)

4 comments:

  1. I haven't experienced any cracks in my trays just yet. I take them off starting from the molars then going to the front of my teeth.

    Good Luck with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't seem to be having any problems with this tray. I have attachments on both eye teeth and the cracks happened in the space right behind those teeth. I think I need to pull from the top of them down, I was kind of pulling from the back and down, if that makes sense. Hopefully, lesson learned, and this will be the end of it! :)

      Delete
  2. I cracked my first tray after 2 days and I'm not sure what to do. I put a call into the ortho but haven't heard back. (sigh)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My ortho said to keep wearing it as long as it's still wearable. Hopefully it won't be a case where it breaks and you have to wait for a replacement. I'm on tray 7 now and there was only this one and one other set that haven't cracked. I think it's just how my attachments are placed.

    ReplyDelete